Working almost like a dating service for mentors and college students, StudentMentor is a nonprofit organization that helps to match people up to enhance the education process for anyone interested. Ashkon Jafari is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of StudentMentor and has tons of wisdom to impart to those interested in discovering the ins and outs of establishing an innovative nonprofit organization like this in the US. Listen in to this interview between Ashkon and Lorna Li for a glimpse into his thoughts on:
- The importance of having a mentor and how it can increase your earnings and boost your overall success
- The career benefits of serving on the board of directors for a nonprofit
- What it takes to start a nonprofit organization like StudentMentor.org
- Knowing whether you need to establish a 501CS in order to start a nonprofit social enterprise
- How to procure sponsors and donations as a new nonprofit organization
- How to attract volunteers to your nonprofit enterprise
- How to advertise your work and attract more members
You’ll also learn about how beneficial having a mentor can be for your earning potential and future career success.
Watch the Full Program
About Ashkon Jafari
Ashkon Jafari is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of StudentMentor.org, a nonprofit organization leveraging technology to provide mentorship to college students across the country. Previously, Ashkon was the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Making a Difference for Good USA, a nonprofit working to improve the lives of rural Cambodians through rural development and education. Prior to that role, he worked in finance for NVIDIA and was a key player on their philanthropic team. Ashkon is the creator and host of Social Innovation Live, a talk show where he has interviewed a Nobel Laureate and many leaders from around the world, and sponsored by the Stanford Center for Social Innovation. Ashkon graduated in the top 1% of his class and has a B.S. in Finance from Santa Clara University. He is a StartingBloc Fellow.