Check out the next great thing in car sharing: Getaround. Female green entrepreneurs are a fantastic source of creative and innovative green business ideas, and this one is pretty cool. Building on the idea of collaborative consumption, Getaround allows people to offer up their own privately-owned vehicles for rent by other people.
Recognized in the Huffington Post’s list of Female Founders in Tech to Watch earlier this month, green entrepreneur and founder of Getaround, Jessica Scorpio, founded this San Francisco startup to help people embrace the idea of car sharing and give owners of underutilized cars the chance to rent their vehicles out by the hour, day, or week. Access to your account can be granted through their website or the app.
Here’s how the program works:
- Real people get set up to rent one of their own vehicles to earn money while their car is not in use. The service includes insurance for liability, collision, property damage, and uninsured motorist protection.
- Getaround screens both drivers and vehicles to ensure they meet their standards for conduct and safety.
- Getaround sends the vehicle owner a Carkit which installs a wireless device to let potential drivers access your car’s information using their smartphone.
- Drivers reserve vehicles of their choice using the app or online in 60 seconds without all of the paperwork associated with traditional car rentals.
- Following every rental, both driver and owner rate the other party and describe the experience.
The obvious environmental benefits of this kind of system are many. By sharing a vehicle, consumers help avoid the resources and energy it would take to construct a new one. The green business also estimates that for every car shared in their system, 10 cars can be taken off the road, reducing a person’s carbon emissions by 40%.
This concept is already spreading, with hopes for it becoming a worldwide phenomenon. Try it out and tell us what you think!