For those who never want to sit still, a green transportation job may be just the ticket to having a fulfilling green career. Transportation emissions are a huge factor in global greenhouse gas emissions, and finding ways to ratchet down the planetary cost of our on-the-go lives in extremely important for long-term sustainability as a species. You could be part of this important movement by getting yourself into an exciting green job in the eco-friendly transportation sector.
Green Jobs in Transportation
There is no end to interesting opportunities for those interested in starting a green career in the transport sector.
- Mass transit engineer: Public transportation systems need people of all shapes and sizes to help convey commuters from home to work and school and back again every single day. Public transportation is naturally more eco-friendly than single-occupant driving, so you’ll help support some of the most energy efficient modes of transport available. Whether you like driving large buses and trains, want to work as a systems engineer or mechanic, or are interested in traffic control, there are loads of opportunities in the public transit sector.
- Bike sharing and rental: More and more bike sharing and bike rentals are growing in popularity as people see the benefits of getting exercise while they move from one place to another. If you want to promote this people-powered mode of transportation, consider starting or working for a bike sharing company or starting a bike rental shop.
- Car sharing and rental: Like bike sharing, consumers see the value of sharing a vehicle to reduce the financial and environmental footprint. Lots of vehicle sharing companies now exist so you could jump on board with one of those or start your own! Alternatively, start a car rental company that specializes in the most energy efficient vehicles for tourists and frugal-minded individuals.
- Green taxi driver: Public transit options don’t reach every corner of most cities, so conveying people to their final destination often requires taxi and cab drivers. If you’re an extrovert, you’ll love this career, and can green it up by choosing the most energy efficient vehicle possible and driving with green habits in mind. Gas-electric hybrid and electric vehicles are natural choices for this line of work.
- Green vehicle scientists: Engineers and scientists are needed to develop energy efficient vehicles for heavy transport, industry, farming, and consumers alike. If you’re the research type, consider entering a career that will help develop the next energy-free mode of transportation.
- Green tourism travel: Getting from Point A to Point B while you’re on vacation also costs the planet, but it doesn’t have to cost as much with green travel options. Create a green tourism company of your own to help guide travellers to the most eco-friendly methods of transportation while they’re on vacation.
This is just a small sampling of the many options available in the green transportation field, but should give you plenty of inspiration for how to turn your desire to move into a thriving green job.