If you’re looking for content strategies that produce amazing search engine results for your green business, look no further. These five tips on how to write SEO-friendly copy that will inspire and impress your green consumers will help you optimize your site to rank highly in organic search results performed by your prospective customers.
SEO-Friendly Copywriting Tip #1: Do your keyword research
Perhaps the most important place to start when writing SEO-friendly content that your green consumers will love, keyword research is the cornerstone of high-ranking content. To get started, do a general topic search in one of the following free keyword research tools and from there, choose three or four highly-ranked phrases (keyword phrases are better than individual words) that best describe your green business, product, or service:
By using several keyword research tools, you can uncover a wider range of keywords, as each of the tools pulls from different data sources. Bear in mind that these tools will give you different search volume counts, so it’s important to see them as estimates rather than get hung up on the figures reported.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the keywords that may turn up in your research, after all, it becomes cost prohibitive to dedicate a web page in your site to every single one. You will need to narrow down the selection to a few target keywords.
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind while doing your research:
- Search popularity: The relative popularity of search terms compared to other keyword terms is important here. In other words, it’s not just the number of monthly searches completed for any particular phrase, but which keyword phrases are most popular for your particular niche.
- Keyword relevance: It is supremely important that you choose keywords that are highly relevant to your particular green business. Specificity here is more useful than generalities. While it will be difficult to rank highly for big terms like sandals”, it is much more attainable to try to rank for something like eco-friendly sandals.”
SEO-Friendly Copywriting Tip #2: Keyword optimization
So your SEO research is done, now you need to put those targeted keywords to work for you. Through strategic keyword optimization, you’ll position your keywords in some important places within your web copywriting to produce great search results.
For starters, you’ll want to sprinkle the keywords you’ve chosen for your green products or services evenly throughout a page, being sure there are keywords at the top and the bottom of the page. Generally, it’s a good idea to repeat your keywords 1-3 times every 200 words, using variations where appropriate (plurals, singular, -ed, -ing).
There are several other places where you’ll want to position your targeted keywords:
- Page title
- Headlines and subheadlines
- Meta description
- Bulleted and numbered lists
- Italicized and bolded text (using <strong> tags for bolded text & <em> tags for italicized text)
SEO-Friendly Copywriting Tip #3: Treat every web page as a keyword-targeted landing page
One of the most keyword content strategies you should use is to treat every page like a landing page. When it comes right down to it, every single page on your green website is like a landing page since a visitor may start anywhere on your site, and as such, you should make it simple for your readers to navigate to other content on your site. Do this by creating links to other pages on your site, keeping this very important principle in mind:
- Internal links should always contain keywords relevant to the destination page you are targeting
In other words, if you create a green blogging” link, have that link go to your page on your site that actually talks about green blogging. And whatever you do, avoid the common mistake of creating internal links on terms such as here” and click” as these will not benefit your search engine optimization in the least.
SEO-Friendly Copywriting Tip #4: Irresistible, natural, readable copy
Your green consumers (i.e. real human beings) should always be the focus of your green content strategy. While you’ll definitely want to do what you can to increase your search engine ranking for sites like Google, catering to the machines that are search engines may leave your copy flat, repetitive, and uninspiring. Writing compelling content that will actually be interesting for your green readers – now that’s important! To balance your SEO goals with readable content, remember the following principles for working value into your online material:
- Make your web copywriting irresistible: Without a doubt, the most important thing to consider when creating content for your green readers is to make it appealing, enticing, and compelling. Using whatever tools you wish – intrigue, urgency, controversy, enlightenment – the key is to create exceptional green web copywriting that’ll bring eco-minded consumers to you again and again. The point: do a lot of thinking about what interests your clients! Of course, if you need a little green blog inspiration to rev-up your creative thinking, check out our two-part article on the subject.
- Make your website copywriting sound natural: True, it’s important to include strategic keywords in your web copy, but your green content strategy should not push your content into the world of the incomprehensible. Write for your human readers and avoid keyword stuffing, which often results in forced, unnatural content that reeks of “spam”. You’ll want to use keywords throughout your website, but without overdoing it. Well-written SEO copywriting will have a good number of keywords throughout (beginning, middle, and end), but will sound natural and readable.
The moral of the copywriting story is that you should think like a person and write like a real human being. In general, this strategy should result in both SEO optimized and natural content your green consumers will love!
SEO-Friendly Copywriting Tip #5: Linking, both out & in
Though it might run contrary to your internal logic, linking out to relevant, quality, authoritative sources, especially other bloggers, can help build trust among readers and establish visibility. Many blog platforms send a pingback notification to webmasters each time another site links to one of their documents, which encourages them to visit your site as well.
Now it’s possible to get even more detailed and technical with on-page optimization. For a non-technical green business owner, tackling on-page SEO may seem confusing and daunting. However, if you follow these easy 5 tips on SEO copywriting your green business website will have SEO-friendly content that both readers and search engines love.